Friday, May 25, 2012

Losing My Sanity

Hallelujah! I am blessed enough to say that I have attained my Masters of Engineering Degree in Structural Engineering from the University of Florida! Now I have more time to devote to raising support and connecting with old friends and acquaintances. Also, I have reached 25% of my goal to go to Southern Sudan in October! It's always fun watching people's reaction to what I am doing now that I have graduated. I guess most people are expecting me to say, "Well, I am applying for an engineering position at Company X and will be making X amount of dollars." The best response I received was from a young man at a graduation event. When I told him that God has called me to go to Southern Sudan to work on clean water projects, his countenance dropped and he stared at me with a blank face for what seemed like minutes. "Why?" was all he replied. Sometimes it seems that I am going against the grain and doubts seem to creep in. However, God has been so faithful in confirming to me through scripture and other people that this is what He has called me to do in this time of my life. I am starting to understand the feeling that Noah must have felt when others might have questioned his sanity when he began building a boat to literally house animals. I can't explain everything, but I know that God is in control and by putting aside my notion of sanity for his, I become like Him. "If we are out of our mind, it is for the sake of God; if we are in our right mind, it is for you." - 2 Corinthians 5:13
This is a picture of a well located in Mundri Town, Southern Sudan, which is where I will be going. Here some local boys and girls are "hanging out" near the well.

6 comments:

  1. I really love hearing how you are really "listening" for direction from God in this adventure. I know He will bless you in ways you aren't even imagining right now. We know He will open the doors for you and that the people of Sudan will be blessed by your service to them through your submission to God!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Grant! I hope I get the engineering position at company X and make X amount of dollars, so I can transfer some of those X dollars to this great cause!
    Ur setting new standards! Keep up the good work. :)
    All the best n best of luck.!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! Thanks buddy! I hope you also get that position at Company X, I would definitely hire you, you're a smart dude. Are you still in the Gainesville area?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grant! So cool to hear about your life! Yay for clean water projects! I am currently writing a paper for one of my Master's classes called "Engineering Solutions for the Poor" and was procrastinating and saw your blog post - awesome!

    Who are you going with? I can't wait to hear how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mallory! I am going with World Harvest Mission and I am working with an engineer who has been living in Sudan since 2008. Sounds like a really sweet class, wish I knew about it while I was in school. If you would like to get my newsletter on what I am doing, shoot me your email address.

      Delete